Friday, January 20, 2006

Flying Needles II

So a the risk of flogging a dead horse- so to speak I do have some more to say on the whole no knitting needles on planes affair.

Qantas says in their official bumph on carry on luggage that you can't take any sharp objects on the plane and sharp objects: "include but are not limited to: any knife, including paper knives, carpet knives, box cutters, letter openers, scissors of any kind, tradesman's tools, screwdrivers, corkscrews, darts and knitting needles."

I'm snorting! Pick the least lethal object in that last sentence. Notice that they say nothing about crochet hooks. I'm going to give a couple of big plastic crochet hooks a go too and see if they let me take them.

Anyway a while back, I chanced upon an entry on the Yarn Blog, the companion Blog to Yarn Magazine where the editor is in praise of the no needle policy (??!!) and I've included a link here to what she and others say. I have to say I just dont agree - although I've included it here to show that I am aware that others obviously do agree with the policy. As I said in my last post, Yep you could do some nasty Quentin Tarantino-esque stuff with knitting needles if you wanted to BUT you could do just as nasty stuff with almost anything if you really wanted to!! Here's another post from the Yarn Blog on the same subject. I was moved to comment that time.

Anyway I intend to knit regardless. I am taking an arsenal of 'ordinary objects'. I have now tested 12mm jumbo pencils and a couple of paintbrushes too in addition to the crayons and toothbrushes of the last post.

JT says I might get to knit on the plane but they won't let me into the states because the CIA would have been monitoring my blog!! Stranger things have happened.

ONE MORE SLEEP TO GO!!! It's getting exciting and a little scary. Leaving the girls for two weeks and etc... Not so scary that I wont go though!! :-)