Friday, September 16, 2005

Welcome Secret Pal!!

Hi there Secret Pal,
Here is the incredibly long list of questions. But first, because this is a totally boring amount of words to have on a blog, I'll add some shots of progress on the Rare Yarns wrap for you all to see first. NEARLY THERE!!!!

Here is the back - Dont you love the slippers that have snuck into the photo!

Here is the front - Slippers again!

Detail shot - don't you love the lace! I'm really pleased with it. I've even learned the pattern now and can knit without looking at the stitch sequence! Hooray. I'm thinking now of another lace project to go on with.

Now the SP6 questions - happy reading....

1.Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? I think I might be a little bit of a yarn snob. I do prefer natural fibres or blends with high natural fibre content. Having said that there is some radical totally man made stuff out there – so occasionally I go for it. Don’t really know lion brand – not sure what the Aussie equivalent is but I really love everything Jo Sharp and another local Kaalund’s Yarns ‘expressions’ at the moment. I'm a huge fan of Rowan yarns but they are just totally off the planet expensive here in Aus.

I'm a beginner spinner and loving it. I have recently been donated TWO! spinning wheels. Since SP5 I’ve learned to crochet – I’m a total beginner but really like it! Next adventure is to learn to dye my own yarn and sliver.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) Cats, dogs and eggs – Don’t know why any one would spin dog hair do you???

4. How long have you been knitting?
More than 20 years but not constantly. I’m a quilter, I sew, embroider and other stuff too (Too many crafts!!)

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Pretty fond of lavender. Like citrussy scents and vanilla too.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yup! But I am doing well on weight watchers at the mo having lost 18+kgs since number two daughter was born. I have 4kgs still to lose ….sob sob..

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? See Q4 Most needle crafts and I like beading, handmade cards, and I’d love to learn bullrush basket making one day! Oh and restoring antique furniture too – there’s a few half sanded bits of furniture in the garage.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yup. I like Indigo Girls, Tori Amos, They Might Be Giants, Bruce Springsteen, Hunters and Collectors, Paul Kelly and Sarah McLachlan to name a few at random.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? Can’t stand orange or mustard! Prefer blues, real turquoise and greens and carmine reds. Although I like to be surprised by colour combinations.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married, husband JT, two girls, Milly 2.5 yrs and Gemma 1year old.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) To have a totally successful home business selling knitting related products (being concocted now) and to have a few more kids, knit them lots of things, live on acres with a view, a big house, huge vege patch, sheep cows and other animals… Ah one day….


13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Jo Sharp DK for wool, Rowan All seasons cotton for a cotton blend and Karabella Roses. I'm In love the Aussie brand ‘Rare Yarns’ too - I'm dying to try knitting with some of their astrakhan yarn in pale blue boucle .

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? We call it feathers here – oh I am so over that. Cheap harsh prickly wools and alpaca with guard hair still in YUK.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Interweave Knits Mag, Rebecca Mag and Vogue Knitting. I've got a couple of the recent issues -boy I want to knit up a storm. Dying to try Rowan Summer Tweed and denim yarns. Dying to knit a mobius from my own hand spun. Would like to knit a lace stole from Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Kiddies Cardies I think. They knit up quick and get heaps of comments and they are actually a garment rather than a scarf or wrap.

17. What are you knitting right now? I'm lagging on a knitalong -a lace panel wrap around top that can be worn a number of ways from rare Yarns an Aussie Brand. About to begin Knitty’s Soliel in Karabella Frost and a baby blanket in wonderful Elizabeth Lavold Alpaca that my SP5 sent me.


18. What do you think about ponchos? I'm warming to them. I don’t have one but I’m thinking that they are kind of more useful than shawls because they don’t fall off. Mum dug one out of her keeping chest that I had when I was 4 for my little girl. It was knitted by my nanna and I like that one.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I like circulars for biggies but straights are much better behaved in storage.

20. Bamboo, aluminium, plastic? Casein and bamboo – oh and of course addy turbos I have one pair of 4mm and love love love them!! Love my Denise needles too that were my birthday pressie this year from my husband!! LUCKY!!

21. Are you a sock knitter? Not yet but soon – very very soon.

22. How did you learn to knit? I think for a brownie badge when I was about 10 – Perhaps the North American equivalent is very young Girl Scouts – do you have Brownie Guides?

23. How old is your oldest UFO? MMM going on 10yrs – It’s a jumper - the collar has been frogged many times. I'm thinking of giving up, its out of style now any way.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Miffy, I am partial to knitted tigers. Suffolk black faced Sheep and lambs are high on my list too!

25. What is your favorite holiday? Beach, Sun, long lunches, wine tasting and gourmet restaurants. Or camping, bush walking and open fires.

26. Is there anything that you collect? Ohh Dangerous question. Victorian dust pressed tiles, vintage sewing and knitting paraphernalia. (old sheets of buttons, cottons press studs, thimbles _+etc etc etc ) flour bags, Small willow patterned china pieces. Oh there’s others – I'm a collector. Vintage Knitting needles!

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Interweave Knits - That’s all

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on? OOOh yeah!!! Debbie Stoller Stitch ‘n Bitch, Debbie Stoller, Stitch ‘n Bitch Nation, Sally Mellville The Knit Stitch and the Purl Stitch, Candy Jensen’s Crochet book and Erika Knight’s great knit and crochet books and the Wrap Style and Scarf Style books from Interweave Press oh and practically everything published by Rowan. I love books!

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another?? I’m dying to get my hands on Rowan #30 but haven’t managed it for some reason.

30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like? I’m an Australian size 8.5 which measures 25.5cm from my heel to my big toe and 10cm across at the ball of my foot or widest point near my toes. Is that how you measure feet?? I love any socks. Never made any for moi but plan too.