Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Collections

Morning has broken!!
I've had a shower, packed hubby off to work, organized breakfast for the kids, placated teething one year old Gemma, played memory with two and a half year old Milly. Sorted out the washing loads, put one on to wash, had a cuppa, had my own brekky now I'm blogging and its all before 8am. Phew can I go back to bed now??

Here is a shot and a couple of details of part my vintage sewing and knitting collection for Rachael. She has a similar collection going. I am a bit of a compulsive collector. This gives me an idea for a tag.

Do you collect anything?
What do you collect?
How many do you have?
Why do you collect them?
Show us a shot of a collection.

So I will answer my own tag and in turn tag Rachael.

Do you collect anything?
Yep I collect heaps of stuff.

What do you collect?
Vintage sewing notions, vintage knitting notions, Victorian fireplace tiles, silver cutlery, interwar oak furniture, ceramic jelly mould, some shells, driftwood and sea urchins. There's other collections that I still have but that aren't active.

How many do you have?
In this collection there's twenty or so wooden cotton reels, some bias tape, pins, a few different darning threads, hooks and eyes, five or so thimbles, countless knitting needles and a couple of funky old needle gauges.

Why do you collect them?
Most of my collections have come about because I have inherited the beginnings of them and just kept going, buying more bits and pieces when I see them at op shops and junk shops. In the case of the sewing and knitting stuff - It's something I am really interested in myself and I love to see how things were done once. They have such an aesthetic appeal en masse too. They remind me quite alot of my Grandmother, my Nanna and two particular elderly aunts. There's some of all of their sewing boxes on my wall.

Show us a shot: Well here is a shot and a couple of details.