Sunday, July 20, 2008

Coincidence?

OOOh! How happy am I with this??!! It began as a Lady Eleanor stole from Scarf Style. Look at this beautiful Lady E by Fig and Plum. But half way through I decided to make it into a poncho. The kind that you make by sewing together two rectangles.

My thinking was: If the aim was to keep my shoulders warm and I wanted to be able to wear it daily rather than just on kid free evenings I would need to keep it hands-free. You know - unless you can do a keyhole loop with a scarf it's long gone with kids. I figured Lady E might end up a little too fiddly with on-the-go kidlets. So here tis....

And look- Holding hands and it's not falling off. (Lovely Magnolia and totally overgrown pond in the background.)

And now: being a total dork in a photos (with brilliant chook shed in the background) and it's still not falling off - FABULOUS!!

Specs: 6 skeins of Noro Silk Garden Lite. Colourway #2023. US#8 Denise Circulars. Basic Instructions for the entrelac initiated: 7 diamonds across and 10 stitches wide each diamond =CO 70st if I remember correctly. Then I just kept knitting till I had a rectangle 7 diamonds x 10 half triangles. Then I picked up stitches along one side and knit the same. Here is a progress shot of it around this point. Then I cast off the second rectangle and mattress stitched up the two pieces, wove in the ends and put it on!

I haven't taken it off since. Not even for blocking. No crochet edging. No tassels. Nada. Perfect as it is! IMHO. Possible mods. Maybe one or two diamonds longer and I would have had a slightly bigger neck hole.

So is it coincidence that in the weeks since Knitting Camp I have been blogging more than in the last 12 months and at the same time have more FOs than usual to show?