Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Umbilical


Third ever spun yarn

Oh I have nothing to show for myself. Been too busy on the embargoed scarf project with Donni. All will be revealed at the exhibition on Friday. The Old Court House, Belmore Basin Wollongng. "6 Fiber Artists - One Exhibition" 14th + 15th May, 10am to 4pm. Piccies after the weekend. And I've made up a site for the Wollongong Stitch 'n Bitch. If you're an Illawarra knitter have a look at
the site and join us for a s'nb.

So a while ago I had a success that has not been featured! For the youngest kiddie I whipped up the Umbilical Hat from the first Stitch 'n Bitch Book. Oh such a great hat and such a great pattern. Easy to knit! First time I'd used dpns and done any i-cord and it worked a treat using up my third ever attempt at handspinning. A blend of wool and alpaca plied with a variegated filatura di crossa cotton. It turned out to be just the right weight yarn 4 the pattern and needles. Didn't have so much luck with the lovely silk blend yarn I spun and plied together. Of course being a novice spinner it turns out to be a super bulky yarn and the umbilical hat stands up by itself and weighs about 2kgs. (see wip disasters post of a few weeks ago.) But I will persevere. In other news I frogged for the third time my knitalong rare yarns wrap. So I am yet to make any progress and Kerry (knit demon) has already finished!)